Wilfred F. Magann had just returned from World War II, where he had earned the rank of Chief while serving as a Frogman in the Navy. He had spent twenty months performing underwater demolition throughout the Pacific and was hoping to utilize his knowledge of construction to begin a career. In the summer of 1945, his desire to pursue construction became a reality. With the support of his wife, Mary Hope, he founded W. F. Magann Company and on September 3, 1946, incorporated his company as W. F. Magann Corporation.
Active postwar construction markets and the early focus on concrete work provided the opportunity for the company to steadily expand into more complex, diverse, and larger heavy construction projects. The company's personnel and equipment were able to provide full service response to project requirements such as pile driving, heavy concrete work, cofferdams, earthwork, temporary bypass and support structures, and many other facets of heavy construction.
Marine construction started with coastline and offshore protection work in heavy stone and timber structures. The difficult nature of this work provided the foundation for the company's growth into additional areas of marine construction. Soon, piers, docks, bulkheads, fender systems, special mooring structures, dredging, and demolition all became key capabilities. Experienced marine crews and equipment, ranging from small workboats to specially developed material handling barges, became key resources.